The idea of the “Geek Garage” was originally conceived as a Facebook Group where a few of my friends and I could share and discuss trends and issues in the world of technology without ‘shame.’ It was designed as a virtual garage, a ‘geeks club’ if you will, where we can be ourselves, and not need to censor, or withhold our geekiness for the sake of the civilians (i.e., non-geeky types) around us.
As my struggle to balance my ‘real’ v. ‘virtual’ digital life, I’ve decided to hang on to my blog, as a space for me to post anything I found interesting around me. I guess it’s an attempt to capture moments that don’t belong on any other place other than my own garage. I appreciate the support of my wife, child, and friends who thought I should keep my lil’ blog going, and to maintain my geek space. So let’s see where the rabbit hole leads…
Gear in the Geek Garage, at the moment:
- Phones: I currently own a Nokia N8 (since June, 2011), and I got there after all of this phone drama. Expect to see photos shared in the Garage. After all with 16GB on board, + a 16GB card, I can take 12MP photos and HD video to my heart’s content.
- iPod Touch 3G (means 3rd generation) 32GB – I love this thing, all my music can’t fill it up, great app selection, can even make Fring and Skype calls, in addition to Mail for Exchange to sync email and calendar with my Google accounts. It’s my primary email & gaming device. Have WiFi, will Travel! Update, sold the iPod as part of my tech detox diet. (Update: SOLD on Ebay, as part of my Tech gadget Detox). I don’t miss it, now that it’s gone!
- Canon Power Shot SX200. Nice zoom lens. No virtually nothing about photography, but I enjoy it. Trying to learn, so be gentle with the critiques, eh? Now that I have the N8 though, I’ve hardly touched it, so our daughter is using it as her video recorder for muppet shows.
- Nikon D5000, aka ‘The Beast.” My wife’s primary camera, but I hold it once in a while, to feel manly…but I didn’t mean my wife is manly…. damn.
- Macbook Pro 13″. Built like a tank. Love the touch pad (no, not THE TouchPad) – best feature… Don’t miss using a mouse. It’s my first Mac computer. Awww…
- I TB hard drive made with bamboo. Yeah, no joke!
- Small solar charger for cell phones, as a backup. Works well for $25USD.
- Transport: Our family vehicle here in Thailand is a Honda Click, 110cc, Made in Thailand motorbike (scooter). Fits a family of three + stuff perfectly! (No Asian+Honda jokes please… heard them all when I owned a Civic and Accord). **Update, added a classic 1986 BMW 316 to the mix, as it was sorely needed when family came to visit for an extended period of time. Plus, we love road trips!
Full Disclosure (well, not FULL..I want to maintain my “man of mystery” status): I do own shares of Microsoft and Nokia (amongst my very small stock portfolio). Yeah, ironic, now that they’ve partnered up. I only bought a handful for fun, and because they were on sale, not a sign of ‘fanboy’ mania.
Cheers, Y’all!! (That’s Texan, by the way)
GotPassport.Org – About our family travel, and international volunteering.
ChiliLimeGarlic.com – My wife’s fabulous foodie blog
All content on my site is under © 2011 MyGeekGarage